Sunday, February 21, 2010

Question #11: Are Ravens harbingers of death?

Alicia’s question: Is it true, as mythology suggests, that Ravens and Crows are the spirits of the departed and are harbingers of death?


Current mood: ravenous

Well, Alicia, is it fair to assume that the only reason why you’re asking this question is because I’m black? Yes, I think it’s a fair assumption.

But I’ll answer your question, my racist friend. No, it’s not true. The only people who saw us as bad omens and harbingers of death are Europeans. That’s right . . . white folks.

If you were to talk to darker complected native people, you’d find that we’re considered to be harbingers of magic who split time between the physical and spiritual worlds. This is much closer to the truth.

Allow me to hop up on my soap box for a moment . . .

Ladies and gentleman, it’s time to stop being afraid of the dark. It’s time for white humans everywhere to put down their bowling balls and embrace their blackness – to be good dancers and excellent athletes.

The next time you see a Raven I encourage you to give him or her a big wave and in your best Sally Field voice yell, “Fuck Edgar Allan Poe!”

Thanks for your question, Alicia.

No comments:

Post a Comment